We are starting to see a massive increase in successful ransomware attacks in the UK and America. Studies have shown that on average a new business is attacked by a ransomware attack every 11 seconds!
It is becoming ever more important that companies train their staff in the correct security procedures to prevent these attacks being successful on their business including the following:
- Backup your data
- Never click on unverified links
- Do not open email attachments you do not trust
- Only download from sites you trust
- Avoid giving out personal data
- Use mail server content scanning and filtering
- Never use unfamiliar USBs
- Keep your software and operating system updated
- Use a VPN when using public Wi-Fi
- Use security software
- Keep security software updated
A ransom has been paid to hackers after personal details of staff and students at the University of York were stolen.